A recovery phrase, also known as a seed phrase or mnemonic phrase, is a series of words generated when you create a new wallet for storing Bitcoin. The recovery phrase is a human-readable representation of your private key, which is essential for accessing and managing your digital assets.
Here’s how to get a recovery phrase for a new wallet:
- Choose a wallet: Select a compatible wallet based on your needs and preferences. There are different types of wallets, such as hardware wallets (e.g., Coldcard, Ledger, Trezor), software wallets (e.g., Sparrow, Samurai), and mobile wallets (e.g., Blue Wallet, Muun Wallet, Bitcoin Tribe & Bitcoin Keeper).
- Set up the wallet: Follow the instructions for setting up the wallet. Typically, this involves downloading and installing the wallet software or connecting a hardware wallet to your computer.
- Create a new wallet: Most wallet applications will prompt you to create a new wallet or import an existing one. Choose to create a new wallet.
- Generate a recovery phrase: During the wallet setup process, the wallet software or device will generate a recovery phrase for you. This phrase typically consists of 12, 18, or 24 words. It’s essential to write down these words in the correct order, as they will be used to restore your wallet and access your digital assets in case of loss, theft, or device failure.
- Securely store the recovery phrase: Store your recovery phrase in one or more secure locations, preferably offline. Consider using a fireproof safe, a safe deposit box, or entrusting it to a trusted family member. Make sure to keep the phrase confidential and do not share it with anyone, as anyone with access to your recovery phrase can potentially access your digital assets.
Remember that your recovery phrase is a crucial component of your wallet’s security. Losing or compromising the recovery phrase could lead to the loss of your digital assets. Make sure to follow best practices for storing and securing your recovery phrase to ensure the safety of your investments.